The great thing about Independence Day being in the middle of summer? Nature’s truest red and blue hues are at their prime, so this holiday, add a delicious burst of red, white, and blue to your Fourth of July desserts table with this perfectly patriotic sweet treat.
RED, WHITE, & BLUE POPS.
2 cups blueberries
5 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup, divided
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened and divided
9 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/4 cup water
8 ounces hulled strawberries
1. Combine blueberries, 2 tablespoons corn syrup, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1 ounce cream cheese in a blender; process until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine sieve. Divide blueberry mixture evenly among 10 (4-ounce) ice-pop molds. Freeze 2 hours or until firm.
2. Combine 1 tablespoon corn syrup, 1/2 cup lemon juice, remaining 2 ounces cream cheese, 6 tablespoons sugar, and 1/4 cup water in blender; process until smooth. Top frozen blueberry layers evenly with lemon mixture. Insert sticks into ice pops, pressing firmly. Freeze 2 hours or until firm.
3. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons corn syrup, remaining 1 teaspoon lemon juice, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, and strawberries in blender; process until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine sieve. Top frozen lemon layers evenly with strawberry mixture. Freeze 2 hours or until firm.
Stay Safe in the Sun: Choose the RIGHT SUNSCREEN!
By: Melissa Flanders
Certified Corporate Wellness Coach
Spending time in the sun has its health benefits; increases Vitamin D, decreases depression, and even lowers blood pressure! However, health professionals around the globe agree: too much sun exposure can be detrimental to your health! As Summer begins to shine down on us, keep this one important fact in mind:
ALL SUNSCREEN IS NOT CREATED EQUAL!
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has released its 10th annual Guide to Sunscreens, and I’m here to highlight some of the TOP RATED that are on the market for your purchasing pleasure. So before lathering up on any brand that’s on sale, keep these Sunscreen brands in mind for the best sun protection.
• All Good Sport Sunscreen, SPF 33
• All Terrain TerraSport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
• Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc Sunscreen Lotion, Fragrance Free, SPF 30
• Badger Sunscreen Cream and Lotion, SPF 25, 30, and 35
• Bare Belly Organics Face Stick Sunscreen, SPF 34
• Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30
• Goddess Garden Facial Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30
• Kabana Organic Skincare Green Screen D Sunscreen, Original, SPF 35
• Nature’s Gate Sport Vegan Sunscreen, SPF 50
• The Honest Company Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30
• Tropical Sands Sunscreen, SPF 15, 30, and 50
For a complete guide to the best and worst sunscreens, CLICK HERE
Stay Sun Safe out there my friends!
Weekly Wellness Wisdom for May 10, 2016
Easy Healthy Tips to Live By
By: Jamie Oliver
Eating healthily is all about balance. Every now and then it’s perfectly OK to have pie for dinner or a nice slice of cake at teatime – treats are a part of life – but it’s also important to recognize when we’re pushing things too far. Indulgent food should be enjoyed and savoured, but only occasionally – it’s important to remember that the majority of our diet should be made up of balanced, nutritious everyday foods. Make healthy food a priority in your life and allow it to bring your family and friends together. Learn to love how it makes you feel, how delicious it is and remember that a healthy balanced diet and regular exercise are the keys to a healthy lifestyle.
1. Cook from scratch
2. Eat a balanced diet
3. Variety is key – eat the rainbow
4. Understand what you’re eating
5. Eat nutritious calories
6. Don’t skip breakfast
7. Read the small print
8. Drink more water
9. Keep active
10. Sleep well